#SanskritOfInstagram: The Top 10 Sanskrit Words You Need to Know
Have you ever wanted to enter a yoga challenge, but been intimidated because the pose list was written entirely in Sanskrit?
Yoga photography on Instagram is many things: breathtaking, inspirational and wildly impressive just to name a few. But for those of us who are unfamiliar with the Sanskrit language, the captions accompanying these photographs can be downright confusing. Sure, even the greenest yogis know what a “downward dog” refers to, but how about “Virabhadrasana” or “Trikonasana?”
Unless you’ve resorted to Googling every single Sanskrit word you’ve ever scrolled across (or completed Yoga Teacher Training), you probably haven’t been able to memorize the Sanskrit names of every single yoga pose.
Not sure where to start?
Here are the top 10 most common yoga poses that I see on my feed every day & their Sanskrit names:
1. Asana - Asana means pose! When your favorite yogi refers to an asana, they’re referring to a specific yoga posture.
2. Trikonasana - Triangle pose
3. Tadasana - Mountain pose
4. Virabhadrasana - Virabhadrasana is used to refer to any of the Warrior Series. Virabhadrasana I refers to Warrior I, while Virabhadrasana II refers to Warrior II, etc.
5. Savasana - Corpse pose
6. Utkatasana - Chair pose
7. Bakasana - Crow pose
8. Urdhva Dhanurasana - Wheel pose
9. Navasana - Boat pose
10. Pincha Mayurasana - Forearmstand
Learning the Sanskrit names for poses can be a fun way to supplement your practice. Challenge yourself to learn one new word a day! You might soon find yourself mastering a whole new language.